An intensive industrial survey was made to ascertain the requirements of skill-gap in the automobile sector; a scientifically designed survey covering labour-market survey web-survey was conducted. Based on the data obtained the skills are identified and accordingly the syllabus has been drafted. Subsequently the Trade expert committed reviewed.
Upon completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Mechanic, Diesel Engine; Oil Engine Fitter repairs services and overhauls diesel or oil engines for efficient performance as prime mover to drive machinery and equipment.
- Examines engine to locate defects, using various tools and instruments.
- Dismantles or partly dismantles it to remove damaged or worn out parts and replaces or repairs them.
- Replace valve and assembles parts, doing supplementary tooling and other function as necessary to ensure accuracy of fit.
- Installs assembled or repaired engine in position and connects pulley or wheel to propulsion system.
- Starts engine, tunes it up and observes performance noting different meter readings. such as temperature, fuel level, oil pressure, etc. and sets it to specified standard for optimum performance.
- Checks, adjusts and lubricates engine periodically and performs such other functions to keep engine in good working order.
- May solder or braze parts and service diesel fuel pumps and injectors.
- Measures essential parts like cylinder, bores piston, sizes crank pins etc. using gauges, micrometer and other precision tools and gets cylinders re-bored, liners fitted, valve seats refaced, etc..
On successful completion of the course the candidates can either get employed, or become a self-employed Entrepreneur in any one of the following fields.
- Auto Diesel engine Mechanic
- Diesel Engine Service Technician
- Auto Fitter in Manufacturing Concern in Assembly Shop or Test Shop
- Mechanic in Auto Manufacturing Industry
- Dealers service mechanic
- Driver/Vehicle Operator
- Spare Parts Sales Assistant / Manufacturers’ Representative
- Laboratory Assistant
- Automobile Mechanic
- Diesel Fuel System Service Mechanic
- Vehicle Operator
- Spare Parts Salesman
- Spare Parts Dealer
Future Learning pathways:
- On successful completion of the course trainee can get themselves enrolled in
- Apprenticeship training in reputed Industrial organisation.
- The qualified candidates have scope for lateral entry into the Diploma courses offered by some of the State Governments
- The qualified candidates can also get themselves upgraded by taking up the Second Semester at his own convenience in the CTS scheme, since the first semester is common to the following trades.